1.7.11

Extremely crunchy chicken wings


I made these wings yesterday, inspired by a recipe from Mad Hungry. Since I had no breadcrumbs I substituted oatmeal and polenta and oh, wow. Serious crunch, serious flavour. I´m sold, particullary as the type of breadcrumbs found here look like day-glo orange fish food.

I also roasted a head of cauliflower alongside, and made some hummus. It was a very simple meal, all finger food, great with cold beer, easy to serve outside. The perfect menu for watching a Wimbledon semifinal?

heat the oven to 225ºC

Take one kg of chicken wings (that´s about ten, with the tips off).
Salt them, then mix in a bowl a heaping spoonful of flour, half a cup of oatmeal and a quarter cup of polenta and a quarter cup of sesame seeds. You can add crushed garlic and cayenne pepper to this, if you like.

Now beat one egg in another bowl and put the wings in there, making sure they´re all coated in egg. You may need two but then will surely have egg left over and that´s annoying.

Coat the wings in the floury mixture, put them on a greased baking sheet and into the oven for 45 minutes or so, until golden and oh, shatteringly crunchy.

Serve with something to dip them in. My favorite is Thai sweet chili sauce mixed with Dijon mustard.

Feeds two as a main dish, more as an appetizer, though there will be fights for the last piece.

6 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Once when I was out of flour I used crushed porridge oats to coat my boquerones, they were so good! I´ve never gone back to frying them in flour.

Sarah Baram dijo...

Pretty innovative! It sounds good though! I may just have to try it. And I have to ask in regards to Wimbledon... Who are you rooting for?

Pille dijo...

Two things:

- that Dijon mustard + Thai sweet chilli sauce combo sounds intriguing. Making a mental note of that.

- there's of course decent breadcrumbs also available, but I do remember those weird day-glo ones. Who wants to buy pre-seasoned breadcrumbs, anyway???

lobstersquad dijo...

sarah: Nadal, of course! always with the paisano. the oatmeal makes it a little bit Scottish, which makes it more Murray, but I´m always with Nadal. you?

lobstersquad dijo...

Pille: that dipping sauce is awsome. and those day-glo breadcrumbs are all I can find in my neighbourhood. Not that I care because I prefer to make my own, but I´m very taken with this polenta/oatmeal mix.

Raquel dijo...

Esto es un MUST. ¡Qué recetón!

Share