28.11.07

Last week´s picnic

Five days spent chiefly walking around olive groves or sitting by a roaring fire are great. However, when you come back there´s so much to do that you forget it was so lovely. Almost.
Just a week ago I prepared a picnic. For one, because I love that little Habitat lunchbox. And for another because the bars along the Andalucía road serve abysmal food, at three star prices.
So I packed two stories with those old time classics of the Spanish picnic: deep fried breaded meat (stolen from my mother´s fridge) and two empanadillas from the market.
The remaining two held thick sandwiches made from loaf bread from La Tahona in Santa Engracia, filled with roast tomatoes from my freezer and mashed avocado.
I´m a big fan of tricked out mayo from a jar, and it has plenty of moments, but for a sandwich that combines good looks with a vitaminic kick, plus all the gorgeous fattiness you really need in a proper sarnie, it has to be avocado.
A couple of tangerines and you´re all set for the rest of the drive, with maybe a stopover for coffee and one of those really bad chocolate bars that you´d only think of eating when inside a car.

10 comentarios:

Pille dijo...

I love that you 'stole' some breaded meat from your mum's fridge :) And those habitat lunch boxes are gorgeous - I should get one for myself next time!!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

I have a couple of different lunch boxes (tiffin boxes) that are layered like this -- my local Asian grocery sells the Thai and Indian versions, and they're quite inexpensive. I'll look for this Habitat one, too!

Casey dijo...

I never thought about using my roasted tomatoes in a sandwich-but combined with avocado: sounds great.

Lesley dijo...

Sarnies? That's an Australian term. Have you spent time there?

lobstersquad dijo...

Pille: the lunchbox is amazing. I wanted the pink/burgundy one too but it was sold out. maybe next year.
Lydia: I have a metal one, too, but this. one with the colours is just too cute.
Casey: they´re great in sandwiches. Not soggy, you see, which is a good thing.
Lesley: I didn´t know it was Australian. I picked it up in the UK, I think

xps dijo...

que bueno el picnic y que bueno que hayas vuelto.

Anónimo dijo...

Avocado and roasted tomato sandwich sounds perfect and what a great lunchbox.

Christine dijo...

I'm somewhat sure I've never left you a comment before...but I just love your site. I have a bit of an internet crush on it and I blame (1) the gorgeous, brilliant illustrations (2) the witty little recipes, that are barely recipes -- my favorite kind! and (3) your writing.

And goodness, a picnic sounds fantastic and is much needed in my corner of the world.

Anónimo dijo...

I just discovered your blog through Everybody likes sandwiches and I am just so taken with all your art! It is beyond wonderful... thank you for sharing with all of us readers!

Cakespy dijo...

I found out about you through Everybody loves Sandwiches...I simply adore the drawings on here!

Also, this passage is so funny and true at the same time that it made me laugh with a tear in my eye:

"I'm a big fan of tricked out mayo from a jar, and it has plenty of moments, but for a sandwich that combines good looks with a vitaminic kick, plus all the gorgeous fattiness you really need in a proper sarnie, it has to be avocado."

XOXO Jessie / Cakespy

Share