7.9.07

Frozen berries



September is a wonderful month for fruit. Peaches and nectarines and plums are still at their glowing best, and the promise of sour oranges is just around the corner.
But I still keep a package of frozen berries in the freezer. A small handful transforms a bowl of dissappointing melon into something quite different. They add a lot of colour to stewed fruit compotes, fruit tarts and crumbles.
And when you come back, tired and unhappy from the airport, knowing full well that there´s nothing fresh in the house, they can turn your mood around.
Scattered over yogurt and drizzled with honey, then left to thaw, they become a wonderful combo, more than the sum of its parts. And so beautiful. Just to see the deep red and inky blue berries leave gorgeous pink swirls in the yogurt is uplifting. And it tastes so good.
I even fear it may be quite healthy, though of course this is not an aspect I like to think about, as it tends to tinge the whole enterprise with worthiness, and that would never do.
If you suspect that you´re thinking along those lines, crumble some oatmeal cookies in the mixture inmediately.

6 comentarios:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) dijo...

Using frozen berries (especially raspberries) with a so-so melon has been one of my secrets for years. I toss the berries in with the melon while they are still frozen, and as they melt they form a lovely pink sauce over the melon. A splash of lemon juice, and you have a wonderful dessert!

Casey dijo...

What a brilliantly simple /simply brilliant idea. I've always kept blueberries in the freezer --but only to use in muffins and pancakes. A whole new range of ideas here...

Raquel dijo...

Hi Lobs!

Espero que no caduquen congelados porque tengo una bolsa de arándanos desde ni sé cuándo ...

lobstersquad dijo...

lydia: some melons need all the help they can get, and this is so pretty.
casey: you can´t find fresh here, you see, so for me it has to be frozen, and once they´re home, I use them all the time.
guru: yo creo que el congelador alarga la vida como walt disney. tengo cosas ahí que ni sé.

Anónimo dijo...

I try to freeze as many fresh berries as my freezer will hold! My most favorite dessert is Frozen Berries with White Chocolate Sauce. http://startcooking.com/blog/187/White-Chocolate-and-Frozen-Berries
I first had it years ago at the Ivy in London. I now serve it year round to company and everyone loves it!

desie dijo...

luv, luv, luv your illustrations. and oh, annie hall is one of my favourite films ever. you got me thinking about all the beautiful, colourful concoctions possible with berries. thanks :-)

Share